Thursday, March 18, 2010

Question 3

In the play The Importance of Being Earnest, I could say that there are no morals anywhere. But as the reader looks deeper into the play they can see that all the rich people are horribly hypocritical, and that the moral is that these people can really just get away with anything. Overall is that really a moral? I mean there are some people today who can get away with anything if they have enough money. I think this is totally immoral, in an ideal world everyone would be treated equally and if someone gets in trouble then they would have to pay the prize. It is of course never really like this though, people are going to be treated different either from how much money they have to what kind of car they drive. It is something that is inescapable. When I think of this play I hate it, and I feel this way because I love a good moral and this play has nothing of the kind. As long as these people have enough money then everything is just fine. Also Jack even admits to never being caught in a lie almost his whole life until this event.

Jack: (slowly and hesitatingly.) Gwendolen-Cecily- it is very painful for me to be forced to speak the truth. It is the first time in my life that I have ever been reduced to such a painful position, and I am really quite inexperienced in doing anything of the kind.

In this play the people think that they should get married without even really know each other and they even say that they are in love. This is another reason why I do not like this play, These characters just throw words around and say whatever they feel they want to at that point in the play. All in all I believe that this play is something that is meant to not even have a moral and this play was written for the pure enjoyment of the reader and nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment