Thursday, January 21, 2010

Emma and Miss Bates



In comparison from the reading out of the book and watching the movie clip on it I find that the clip was actually the most laughable. When I read the text I thought it was mildly humorous. However, actually watching the clip made me be able to visualize the emotion that was being expressed in the reading. The quote that matched my emotions closet is the quote by Immanuel Kant in 1790, "Laughter is the eruption of emotion that arises from a strained expectation suddenly reduced to nothing." The reason that this quote describes my feelings about this is when the quote talks about an "eruption of emotion that arises from a strained expectation." This portion of the quote best describes my feelings best because I was never really expecting to actually have a good laugh at the clip based on the text. My strained expectation was the fact that I told myself before I ever even saw the clip that I didn't think that it was going to be very humorous or funny. To my surprise the characters in the clip were actually very humorous and very funny in some parts of it. After I began to watch the clip, all of my "strained expectations" were actually "reduced to nothing". After watching a few minutes of it, I was actually expecting the clip to be funny in a way, I had more open eyes to the idea of it being funny. The clip also changed my view on what type of humor it really actually is. Instead of the clip being comically funny, like I had expected it to be, it had more of a dry humor element to it. In my opinion, dry humor is much more funny than a comical type of humor because with dry humor you aren't really expecting it to be that funny nor do you actually know what to expect, and that is what makes it laughter and not giggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment