Thursday, January 21, 2010

There Are Two Sides to Every Story

When I read the Box Hill scene from Emma, I had a difficult time grasping what I was reading. As I was reading, the characters seemed to overlap each other because I didn’t know who was who. Our class discussion helped sort out the different characters and some of their characteristics. I knew a lot more about the Box Hill scene when we viewed the clip, so I was able to pick up on some of the funny things that happened during the scene. The character’s voices and animations brought life to the scene. When reading it, one cannot judge how someone’s voice sounds without actually hearing it. Reading the picnic scene, I didn’t realize how much Emma’s words offended Miss Bates. Also when reading it, there were not any awkward pauses. However, when we watched the picnic scene it had a very long awkward pause after Emma made her rude comment. Upon watching it, it became clearer to me how sensitive Miss Bates was. It was also funnier watching the part where Miss Bates acted goofy while she was attempting to give Emma and Jane their cake. I am more of a visual learner, so watching the scene had more clarity and reason for laughter.
Charles Baudelaire believed, “The wise man does not laugh without trembling.” Throughout this scene there were a few funny parts. During the picnic scene Mr. Churchill suggested they play a game by saying one clever thing, two semi-clever things, or three dull things. I think everyone thought it would be a really fun game. Miss Bates stated, “Three things very dull indeed…I shall be sure to say three dull things as soon as ever I open my mouth.” Miss Bates is pretty much making fun of herself to liven the crowd. Then Emma pipes in by saying that she would be limited if she were to say three things. There was a part of me that wanted to laugh, but I felt empathy for Miss Bates. I think Baudelaire’s quote is appropriate here because a wise man should think twice before he or she laughs any time. It’s like a person laughing at something they know there will be a consequence for. The quote that suits Emma would be the quote from Thomas Hobbes. She couldn’t handle Miss Bates having all the attention. Emma made her comment so the attention shifted back to her. She didn’t care who she had to belittle. Baudelaire’s quote describes my reaction towards the scene.
-Callie Holloway

No comments:

Post a Comment