Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why sex with ducks is an art

One of the most controversial issues in America today is gay marriage. Many people have many different views, and are willing to express them in a conversation, but Garfunkel and Oates go about this expression in a different way. They created a controversial video, comparing gay marriage to having sex with ducks. The point they are trying to get across throughout the video with humor and song is that sex with ducks and gay marriage are one in the same. A quote that they sing during the video is “God I hope he’s right because if gay marriage becomes lawful, I am going to find myself a duck and legally do something awful.” This quote really tells you their view on things, because they believe that having sex with a duck is awful, but so is sex with a man of the same sex.

The reason I find their video an expression of art is because they are expressing their view through a video with song which has a humorous side to it. When I look at a painting on the wall, I might not like what the artist has drawn, but I typically respect and admire it, because I cannot create anything like that. This is the same idea with the video. I could never come up with a creative idea like that. I also admire their video because they put their bold view out there. I personally do not have the same view upon gay marriage that they do. I do not think that it is terrible and is the same as having sex with ducks, but while watching the video, I certainly can see the humorous side in it and definitely enjoy it even though our views clash. In my opinion that is what any type of art does, it brings people together from different backgrounds, and even if they do not have the same view or values of an idea or issue presented in the art, they can still appreciate it and respect it for the work put into it. I think that is why the video is so enjoyable; because it brings us together, and when a piece of art does that, potentially offensive language is forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment