Friday, January 29, 2010

How Poop gets the point across...

In the Native American tale "Trickster Eats the Laxative Bulb", human excrement is used to both draw in the reader, and also to exhibit the moral of the story. Needless to say I did not ever think a laxative plant would ever teach a lesson; but it is the case in this story. Sometimes in literature, or in movies and media, profanity or “taboo” topics are overused. It leaves the reader questioning the necessity of this content, and with a dislike for the piece. I did not have this feeling after I finished reading the Trickster story. I found the story surprisingly humorous, and I understood the lesson. If the story had a more serious tone, I do not think this lesson would be as easily received. The lesson learned is that arrogance can get us in deep shit. Joking aside, the story begins with a bulb telling the Trickster “If you eat me you will defecate.” Rather than heeding this warning, he lets his ego take over, and eats the bulb. In his head he knows nothing will happen, because a plant could not affect a “great one” like himself. Little by little, the Trickster begins to experience the effects of the bulb. It starts with him “breaking wind”; it progresses into him being shot up into the air, and nearly being crushed by a tree. That is when the defecation starts. He does all he can to avoid being surrounded; he evens climbs a tree. Eventually he is still engulfed. When he climbed out of the steaming pile, he had to rely on the older trees to guide him to the water to clean off. I think the trees symbolize the Trickster’s wise elders, who help him learn his lesson. The Trickster learned the hard way that arrogance can end badly. This story can be appreciated by a full spectrum of readers. I got something out of this lesson; I also think children could take it in, as it is not too vulgar. The humor helps anyone understand the moral, because let’s face it, poop is funny. I do not believe this taboo topic impedes the story in any way, but rather helps it function.

No comments:

Post a Comment