Friday, January 29, 2010

Michael Squires Blog #3

In our culture we use words to communicate with others and different words have different meanings. In the Trickster story the authors audience are little kids because its telling a life story taught by many adults. I think the author uses the word defecate to humor his audience and keep them interested so they’ll follow the whole story to its ending and listen to the lesson he is trying to teach. At a very young age we are taught to listen and not do things that we are told not to but in the Trickster story the character feels he is of higher authority. Having this “higher authority” got the character in trouble because when he heard the voices “don’t eat me or you will defecate” he thought that it’s just a plant what could it do. After he eats the flower nothing happens so he thinks he has won the battle but really the worst is to come. As he is on his adventure he starts to “break wind” and can’t stop at first he thinks this is funny but quickly becomes aggravating. Once he thinks the breaking wind stops he starts to defecate all over the place and can’t stop until he finally falls in his own waste. I think the trees in this story are kind of like adults in an essence because he turns to them asking for advice or direction so he can survive and stay alive. I found this story humorous because I can see myself doing the same thing, because I always was a “rebellious” child. Doing differently what I was told. I can relate to what the character went through and that’s why I think I don’t do those things now because I know what it can get me into

No comments:

Post a Comment