Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Living with a big family

The stand-up comedy routine by Brian Regan titled “Big Family Stuff” is particularly funny to me because being in a large family I have been in some of these situations or situations like the ones he describes. When he mentioned the story when his brothers did not let him play games with them, I immediately thought about a time when my brother Tom was having a party in our back yard so me and my sister had to stay upstairs or stay out of the way because it was a “big kid” party. Tom was a sophomore in high school and I was in fourth grade while Laura was in sixth grade. So it really wasn’t right that “Tom’s little sisters” were at the party. Well, Laura and I did not like this decision so we thought we asked politely if we could be at the party with everyone else and he still said no! As my room is over-looking the pool in our back yard and it was pool party, we thought my brother and his friends should have water balloons at their party! Just as Brian said his brothers didn’t let him play games and then he played a trick on them, my brother didn’t let me and Laura come to the party so we played a trick on Tom.
The scene he puts in your mind when one of the other kids got hurt, I remembered when my sister fell off her bike and although she didn’t break her arm, she skinned up both of her knees really bad. Our friends Lauren and Heather were outside playing as well and the three of us did not want to tell mom what had happened because we were supposed to be doing our homework anyway.
When Brian Regan talks about the situation with a big family you have to call your possessions, it is true. If a Laura goes to the kitchen to get a snack or something, she says, “Dibs on the remote and the chair”. Of course I listen to what she says because she is older than me and I am being nice to let her have it, but when I say, “Dibs on the remote and the chair”, normally, it isn’t before I’m out of the room that she took both of them. And it doesn’t exactly work the “I call the hump!” I always ended up on the hump no matter what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment